Gaira in Samurai Shodown III.
|Full name||Gaira Caffeine|
|Birthdate||November 1, 1770|
|Height||215 cm (7'1")|
|Weight||116 kg (258 lbs.)|
|Family/Relatives||Nicotine Caffeine ("uncle")|
|Special skill||Holding his liquor|
|Most unpleasant||Being feared by people|
|Weapon||Namu Abi Dabi (南無阿弥陀仏, Namu Abi Dabi), a huge Buddhist rosary|
Gaira Caffeine (花諷院 骸羅, Kafūin Gaira), known to Korean speakers as Kim Ungche (Hanja: 金 雄載, Japanese: キム・ウンチェ, Kimu Unche), is one of the few characters of the Samurai Shodown series who was introduced in Samurai Shodown III. He continues to appear in other titles of the series.
He is the nephew of Nicotine Caffeine and a monk in training. In his ending to Samurai Shodown V, he is comically shaved bald at the whim of several other hairless characters. Years later, with his hair grown back, he and his uncle have an argument, causing Gaira to leave his home and venture out on his own. During his travels, he witnesses Zankuro Minazuki slaughtering an entire village but is too afraid to stop him. Ashamed by his cowardice, he decides to defeat the "demon", but finds Zankuro already slain. He takes the body, buries and then enshrines it. His later appearances in the series continue to have Gaira exorcise demons as training.
Gaira is a relatively carefree man who likes to party. His charismatic love for adventure contrasts the solemn nature of his profession, leading to several arguments with Nicotine over his behavior. He acts as though he doesn't care for the temple but in reality, he is hesitant to accept his responsibilities to the Buddhist faith during his youth.
- Seals - Gaira can shout a brief seal to stun his opponents.
- Above average strength - Gaira is a very strong man, capable of lifting a man with only one hand.
- Petrified State - Through the use of a spell, Gaira can briefly turn his body and his opponent into a rock-like state.
Samurai Shodown III showed the departure of giant and muscular characters (such as Earthquake, Sieger, and Wan-fu) from the cast. Gaira, however, became the "giant" in their place as he boosts incredible strength for close-ranged fighting. He attacks his enemies with a belt of gigantic prayer beads and his fists. With this combination of weaponry, he can grapple and rush into people in his range. He technically may not cut anyone but has the power to rival several bosses in strength. Also, he may "seal" certain actions or "dizzy" his foe, similar to his uncle.
- Tera (Temple) - Samurai Shodown III
- Kōji Suidzu - Samurai Shodown III
- Takeshi Watanabe - Samurai Shodown IV~V Special
- Takumi Satō - Samurai Shodown VI
- Samurai Shodown III
- Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden - as a guest character
- Samurai Shodown IV
- Samurai Shodown V
- Samurai Shodown V Special
- Samurai Shodown VI
- Days of Memories (third title) - in-text cameo; in Mikoto's story
- Samurai Shodown! - cameo in background of bamboo forest arena, together with Nicotine and Basara
- Samurai Spirits (pachinko)
- He was one of the veteran characters from the series who didn't receive a re-dub in the anthology version of Samurai Shodown VI.