Samurai Shodown VI artwork by Takkun
|Full name||Liu Yunfei|
|Birthdate||October 3, 740|
|Weight||56kg (123 lbs)|
|Likes||'A chivalrous spirit.'|
|Dislikes||'My weak soul possessed by the Dark Emperor.'|
|Special skill||'I can manipulate the wind.'|
|Most unpleasant||"The sins I can never make up for."|
|Weapon||Heaven-Flash Strike (天閃燕巧, Heaven-Flash Strike), a dadao|
|Fighting style||The Defensive Arts of the Heavenly Xian (天仙遁甲)|
Liu Yunfei (Chinese: 劉 雲飛; Pinyin: Liú Yúnfēi; Japanese: 劉 雲飛 Ryū Yunfei), also known just as Yunfei, is a character introduced in Samurai Shodown V.
In their commentary for fans, developers reveal that his character was a request from the director. He wanted to make another overseas Asian character to give more contrast to the newer cast. At first, they were designing for a lady until several designers began to fear making her similar to Chun-Li. Since they were already making a "new young lady" (Mina), Yunfei was eventually modeled to be the "cool old guy".
He lived at one point in 800 A.D. with his wife. Desiring to gain more power, he made a deal with a demon being calling himself "The Dark Emperor" (Kuraki-sumeragi) which caused him to go berserk. He killed his wife before he is sealed into a boulder by his eight students (according to SSVI, two of them were Enja and Suija).
A millennium later, he is freed due to the entity leaving him to possess someone else. Wanting to redeem himself, he tracks down the entity's source with intents to exorcise it. In his ending, the entity is found in Gaoh and it begins to overwhelm its host. In order to help Gaoh, Yunfei takes possession of the monster's body and urges the free Gaoh to slay the demon. He is struck down and is reunited with his wife (presumably in heaven).
Haunted by his past, Yunfei became a bitter, yet honorable man, seeking to the destroy the Dark Emperor for redemption.
- Hakkei - A chinese art of channeling one's ki energy to assist in battle, mainly to increase damage or deal damage remotely.
- Ki-channeling Drain - Yunfei can drain an opponent's ki just by touching him, adding the power to his own.
- Ki-channeling Air Control - Yunfei can channel his ki through the air to control and manipulate air currents, which also allows him to fly.
- Ki-channeling Attack - Yunfei can channel ki from his hand through the air in the form of a destructive whirl, which becomes bigger if Drain was used.
- Charged Ki-channeling Attack - Yunfei can charge a big amount of ki inside his sword, then release it at once, resulting in a big destructive tornado.
- Aerokinesis- Yunfei can channel the wind through his sword in order to power up slash attacks.
- Soul Touch - Yunfei can penetrate his enemy's soul, take it away from his enemy's body and slash it in half with his sword, killing his opponent instantly.
Yunfei's fighting style is based on Chinese broadsword techniques. He takes most of his mannerisms from typical wuxia traits. The most notable of these is his ability to float through the air, an exaggerated approximation of qinggong or lightness skills.
- Ceremony - Samurai Shodown V