North American cover art
|Developer(s)||SNK, Alpha Denshi, Hamster Corporation (PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch)|
|Publisher(s)||SNK, Hamster Corporation|
JP April 26, 1990
JP April 26, 1990
Neo Geo CD
NA October 31, 1994
NA December 21, 2010
Wii Virtual Console
JP September 28, 2007
NA October 29, 2007
PAL October 26, 2007
PlayStation 4, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch
JP August 17, 2017
|Game modes||Single player|
|Platform(s)||Arcade, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, PlayStation Network, Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
Magician Lord is a side-scrolling platform game developed by Alpha Denshi. It was a launch title for both the Neo-Geo MVS (arcade) and AES (home) systems, and was one of the pack-in games for the Neo-Geo AES. It also was included in SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1, released for the Playstation 2 and Playstation Portable in North America on May 1, 2008.
Once upon a time, the peaceful land of Cadacis was invaded by Gal Agiese. A man of extreme evil, he unleashed a horde of monsters upon the land, seeking to revive the God of Destruction Az Atorse. When all hope was seemingly lost, a young magician appeared. He defeated the monsters and, using eight mystical tomes, sealed away both Gal Agiese and Az Atorse. This youth who saved the land would become known as the Magician Lord.
Centuries later, the seal upon the mystical tomes weakens, allowing Gal Agiese to escape. He steals the eight tomes and once again terrorizes the land. Elta, the last descendant of the Magician Lord, goes on a journey to retrieve the tomes and once again defeat Gal Agiese.
Elta must make his way through each level and beat a guardian (sub-boss) and a boss before reaching the final confrontation with Az Atorse. Gameplay is similar to that of a standard side-scrolling action platformer, with the added twist of transformations that offer the wizard different attacks and abilities. When he has not been transformed, Elta's primary form of attack is a weak but fast-moving energy arc that he can shoot in four directions; left, right, up and (while jumping) down.
These are the forms that Elta can assume by picking up various colored orbs:
- Dragon Warrior: The Dragon Warrior attacks by breathing a stream of fire; a continuous but short-range attack that can also be aimed diagonally unlike Elta's normal shots.
- Waterman: Waterman uses a water attack that erupts into a geyser on touching the ground. The attack can hit many times for big damage but covers a small area.
- Poseidon: A more powerful version of the Waterman, Poseidon summons waves of water that travels along the ground for several hits and big damage. This form, however, moves very slowly.
- Shinobi: Shinobi attacks with a slow moving but wide fire arc and grants increased agility and movement.
- Samurai: The Samurai has a medium-range energy sword slash that cuts through anything, including walls and enemy shields. It has the most damaging attack of all the forms and can hit several enemies with one attack if they are lined up properly.
- Raijin: Raijin can attack from any position using an electric sphere with short reach and limited damage but surrounds his body continuously, even while jumping. This form also jumps higher and faster than normal.
- Elta: The hero of the game, Elta is an orphan and last descendant of the legendary Magician Lord. He is well versed in the ways of magic, being able to use elemental powers and assume different forms.
- Lung: A fortune-teller who lives a secluded life in the forest, he is Elta's adoptive father and mentor, who sends the hero on a mission to save the land from darkness.
- Gal Agiese: The main villain of the games, Gal Agiese is a powerful sorceror and acolyte of Az Atorse, who seeks to resurrect his master and plunge the land into chaos.
- Az Atorse: The evil God of Destruction and final boss of the game.
- Dale of Evil Gods: A once sacred valley which was defiled by Gal Agiese's minions, where they now worship their evil god.
- To the Evil Mine: A once prosperous mining town, it was destroyed by the monsters. Now all that is left are tree roots and piles of dirt.
- Highway Leading to a Foreign Space: A interdimensional road which serves as the only way to reach the Demonic Castle.
- Castle of Devils: The outer wall and entrance to the Demonic Castle, which is the monster's main base.
- Anderground Passage of Terror (sic): A underground waterway which goes beneath the Demonic Castle.
- Corridor Leading to Hell: The Demonic castle's main hall.
- Gal Agiese: A large tower where Gal Agiese dwells.
- God of Destruction Reincarnates: Az Atorse's shrine where the ritual for his resurrection takes place.
The game makes a few apparent references to H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. One of the enemies is clearly a Byakhee, the form Gal Agiese uses in the next to last level greatly resembles Nyarlathotep, and there are some other parallels, as well.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|