|Metal Slug 7|
Nintendo DS Cover art
JP SNK Playmore
NA Ignition Entertainment
AUS All Interactive Distribution
JP SNK Playmore
EU Namco Bandai Partners
Xbox Live Arcade
|Release date||Metal Slug 7|
May 19, 2010
|Genre||Run and gun|
|Game modes||Single-player, Multiplayer (XX Version Only)|
|Platform(s)||Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, Xbox Live Arcade|
Metal Slug 7 (メタルスラッグ 7) is a run and gun action shooting video game for the Nintendo DS in the Metal Slug series. It was announced in the September 2007 issue of Famitsu and marks the first game in the main series to be released without an arcade version. The North American version of the game comes with a holographic paper cover and a small disc.
The game takes place before the events of Metal Slug 4. The Peregrine Falcon Strike Force and the SPARROWS are once again on a search for General Morden and his army. Their mission is to catch General Morden and prevent his attempts at another coup d'état on the government. However, as soon as Morden was defeated, a strange army from the future came to his aid and strengthened his army. Now, they must face Morden once again with his strengthened army and this time, put a stop to his plans once and for all.
The game has the same set of characters in Metal Slug 6 with the same abilities as its predecessor:
- Marco: His default weapon (Pistol on Normal and Hard, Heavy Machine Gun on Beginner) has twice the ordinary strength.
- Tarma: While riding in or on a Slug, durability and the effects of power-ups are doubled; additionally, the vulcan cannon's power is increased by 50%. He also is capable of using Vulcan Fix when on or in any vehicle.
- Fio: Begins each mission with the Heavy Machine Gun (on Beginner mode, she begins with the Big Heavy Machine Gun from Metal Slug X and 3). Weapon supply is also increased by 50%.
- Eri: Receives twice as many grenades upon starting or resupplying. When throwing, she can aim in a specific direction.
- Ralf: Melee attack speed is doubled, at the expense of weapon and grenade supplies being halved. He can also use the special 'Vulcan Punch' attack, melee strikes capable of damaging vehicles. Can take two hits from most attacks before losing a life.
- Clark: Gets an extra chance at the start of a respawn. He can perform his 'Argentina Backbreaker' against most non-vehicle enemies, and he's immune to damage during the move, also earning generous amounts of points with such action.
- Leona: (XX): Able to keep her weapons when she loses a life. She can perform her "Moon Slasher" attack, a circluar attack capable of destroying vechiles and bullets and she carries 12 star shaped grenades instead of the usual 10.
There are seven levels and three difficulties: Beginner, Normal and Hard. Metal Slug 7 uses the Nintendo DS' touchscreen as a map of the level, making it easier for the player to look at the level and where to get power ups or captured prisoners. The game also introduces the Prisoner's List menu and the return of Combat School mode which was originally from Metal Slug X. There, you can select specific aspects of stages which are not limited to item collecting, survival, and killing all the enemies on the map. You can also talk to your rather jaded drill instructor.
Three new vehicles are:
- Slug Truck: A train-like machine that work similar to the Metal Slug except the cannon must be connected to the unit to access the cannon.
- Slug Gigant: Slug Gigant is a giant robot that is capable of massive firepower. It's Wave cannon can neutralize enemy fire with its melee attack.
- Heavy Armor: Has both vulcan and cannon. Can slide at high speed.