|Developer(s)||SNK, Hamster Corporation (PS4, Xbox One)|
|Publisher(s)||SNK, D4 Enterprise (Wii Virtual Console), Hamster Corporation|
JP April 26, 1990
July 1, 1991
Neo Geo CD
US September 9, 1994
Wii Virtual Console
JP January 22, 2013
NA April 4, 2013
EU August 15, 2013
PlayStation 4 & Xbox One
WW March 2, 2017
|Genre||Action, Cabal shooter|
|Game modes||Up to 2 players simultaneously, Co-op|
|Platform(s)||Arcade, Neo Geo, Neo-Geo CD, Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
"The roar of the helicopters overhead snaps us back into reality. We will never forget the nightmare of that summer..." these were the phrases that started the story of Silver & Brown (the names used to describe the two available players).
The game is set in a very fictional account of the final months of the Vietnam War. The story begins with the two soldiers entering to war to rescue Dr. R. Muckly, an ex-scientist of the American Army, who has been kidnapped by Northside Terrorists. Nancy Muckly, Dr. Muckly's daughter has also been kidnapped and is presumed imprisoned in the NAM interior.
However, as the game progresses, the armies learn that Dr. R. Muckly is a madman who is building a gigantic laser cannon to take over the world himself (the final boss battle was infamous for disallowing continues, except by modifying the DIP switch).
There are many references to many famous Vietnam war films in the game, such as Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.
NAM featured two types of weapons:
- Standard Machine Gun
- Balcan: a more powerful machine gun.
- Missile: a missile launcher that explodes, clearing enemies within its range.
- Fire: a flamethrower that scorches enemies within its path.
- Grenade: defeats enemies with a concussive blast.
- Spark Bomb: a more powerful grenade that triggers other explosions.
- Napalm Bomb: a grenade that clears all enemies from the area.
- Walk: Press Left or Right
- Run: Press Left or Right + Button
- Flip (Parry): Diagonal-Left or Diagonal-Right + Button
In addition, by saving a hostage, the hostage will help you by shooting at enemies.
- NAM-1975 was one of the first games to be released for the Neo Geo. Also one of the first console games to feature full length voice overs. As the first game for the Neo Geo NAM clearly showed the power behind the console with excellent frame rate and audio quality.
- The game draws from a variety of Vietnam war movies, such as Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|