The Last Blade (幕末浪漫 月華の剣士, Bakumatsu Rōman: Gekka no Kenshi), is a fighting game series created by SNK for the Neo-Geo system. The title in Japanese roughly means Romance of the Bakumatsu: The Swordsman of Moonlight. The first game in the series is also the first game that Daisuke Ishiwatari (of Guilty Gear fame) worked on. The Last Blade and its sequel are widely considered to be two of the most accomplished games available for the Neo Geo system, with fan opinion divided as to which is the better installment.
The game takes place during the late Tokugawa shogunate era in Japan, and incorporates various elements of Japanese mythology. As such, the background music generally incorporates synthesized instruments simulating a sound appropriate to the 19th century setting, in a Western classical, pseudo-Romantic style (unusual for a fighting game). Many characters from the series take intentional inspiration from the manga, Rurouni Kenshin. Developers state that it was a friendly nod to the mangaka for being a well-known fan of the Samurai Shodown series.
Long before humanity existed, in a far off time of myth, death was an unknown, equally distant concept, but when death first came to the world, the "Messenger from Afar" was born.
With time, the Sealing Rite was held in order to seal Death behind Hell's Gate. At that time, two worlds, one near and one far, were born. Thus the history of life and death began.
Half a year has passed since Suzaku's madness, and the underworld is still linked by a great portal. Kagami's great sin is still heard as if ringing from the heavens. Our world has been called upon. Legends of long ago told of the sealing of the boundary between the two worlds. The Sealing Rite would be necessary to hold back the spirits of that far away world.
However, the Sealing Rite brings together the power of the Four Gods and Sealing Maiden, for the first time properly completing the ritual.
To find the Sealing Maiden, Genbu began searching in the center of the world, from which all things begin. At the same time in the underworld, in the depths of darkness, many spirits conspired, plotting to hinder the Sealing Rite. They had but one wish, to be reborn into our world.
The Last Blade series is seen as a spiritual successor to SNK's popular Samurai Shodown series, due to it being a similar 2D weapons-based fighting game. The game's mechanics are characterized by two selectable fighting styles, and a unique combo system along with a "deflect" system which involves pressing the D button at an opponents attack. Upon deflecting, the opponent is left open to attack.
The two styles consist of two modes: “Speed” mode and “Power” mode; Speed mode allows players to chain several normal attacks into a special or desperation/super move, as well as execute a "Speed Combo". Power mode on the other hand, grants the player increased damage potential exponentially and giving access to "Super Desperation Moves" which inflict an exorbitant amount of damage (the recommendations to performing them however, requires the player's life bar to flash and have a full power bar). Power mode also allows the player to perform Super Cancels; canceling a special move into a desperation/super move (but not a desperation move, with the sole exception of Awakened Kaede in the first game).
Interestingly enough, the first Last Blade game is probably the first SNK fighter to incorporate Super Cancels into its game mechanics.
- The Last Blade (幕末浪漫 月華の剣士, Bakumatsu Rōman: Gekka no Kenshi “Romance of the Bakumatsu: Swordsman of the Moonlight”)
- The Last Blade 2 (幕末浪漫第二幕 月華の剣士 ～月に咲く華、散りゆく花～, Bakumatsu Rōman Dai Ni Maku: Gekka no Kenshi - Tsuki ni Saku Hana, Chiri Yuku Hana, “Romance of the Bakumatsu Act II: Swordsman of the Moonlight - On the Moon a Flower Blooming, a Petal Falling”)
- The Last Blade - Beyond the Destiny (幕末浪漫特別編 月華の剣士 ～月に咲く華、散りゆく花～, Bakumatsu Rōman Tokubetsu: Gekka no Kenshi - Tsuki ni Saku Hana, Chiri Yuku Hana, “Romance of the Bakumatsu Special: Swordsman of the Moonlight - On the Moon a Flower Blooming, a Petal Falling”)
- The Last Blade - SNK/Playphone mobile game by Hardcore 3D Wireless. This version is essentially a beat 'em up that retains parrying and the "Power" meter system. Players can play as Kaede or Moriya.
- Gekka no Kenshi Gaiden ~ Akari to Nanatsu no Ayakashidama - pachislot side-story centered on Akari.
Introduced in The Last BladeEdit
Introduced in The Last Blade 2Edit
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|